Saturday, October 19, 2013

Renaming .zip file to .xpi

I had compressed my firefox extension to a .zip file but I was unable to rename the extension to .xpi

I selected the contents inside the main folder of my extension, and compressed to a zip folder (Right click - send to - compressed (zipped) folder.)

Then I renamed the .zip file from chrome.zip to myextension.xpi

But it's just renamed the zipped folder and not changing the extension field from .zip to .xpi  .


What you may need to do is have Windows show the file extension and to do this, you need to do these steps:

1. Open Windows Explorer.
2. click on Organise and then select "folder and search options".
3. Go to the "view" tab and remove the check from "hide extensions for known file types".
4. Click apply and try renaming your file this time.

When you do rename a file, you'll get a warning from Windows (at least XP anyway) stating that changing the file extension may make the file no longer viewable by some programs and if you are okay with this. If you don't get this, then you aren't renaming the extension,

Now you should see the "ZIP" extension  changed to xpi.


No comments:

Post a Comment